Just for fun, any “classic” SNL fans out there? Who remembers the repeat, ever encouraging, unofficial counselor character that, doggone it, people liked?
(Note: I’m not sure if Stuart Smalley (or much of especially retro Saturday Night Live” shows are considered modern day “PC” or not, so hopefully I’m not offending anyone, it’s all meant in good “flashback” fun!)
And truth be told, simply reminding yourself of your strengths (in Stuart style, or not), IS definitely a way to “reclaim your job search mojo” after all!
I saw this post on Facebook and recently stumbled on again that had this image, which feels sorta like a Stuart Smalley poster, doesn’t it?
Remember these “tear & take” fliers, too, while we’re skipping down memory lane? They were everywhere, on bulletin boards & lamp posts (pre-internet days especially), though I still see some here & there & I smile! While they were usually for events or services, but sometimes JOBS, remember? Can you imagine getting a job this way now?? Anyway, this is what was in that FB post:
Feeling nostalgic today, I guess, because I had the thought “How fun would it be to make some of these & secretly, randomly post them around town??” I bet some people would really get a good chuckle out of it! And I encourage you to do, so, too, if so inspired! (and then write & tell me about it – and send pictures, too please!)
Of course I’d do a “Positive Thoughts just for Job Seekers” version, so – what should it say?
How about these?
POSITIVE THOUGHTS FOR JOB SEEKERS:
- I have strong, marketable skills
- I’m so thankful for my references & their willingness to help me
- The right job in the right timing shows up for me
- I’m a great interviewee, completely comfortable at all times
- I remain motivated to search out perfect work for me. I trust it IS out there.
- I write attention-grabbing, impactful cover letters with ease, quickly
- I enjoy this free-time I now have after doing my job search due-diligence regularly
- And for now, how about just:
- I’m good enough, I’m smart enough, and doggone it, people want to hire me!
Remember, an important job search “how to” is finding
(or rather, creating) a combination of:
Feeling good and aligned with your goals (aka “managing your mojo”)
(and actively managing to rebuild and maintain this positive anticipation),
and, of course,
Taking concrete, pragmatic action (“mojo in action”)
Hopefully reading this newsletter made you laugh, and thus
= Managing your mojo, feeling lighter & better overall because of the fun!
If you WANT, you COULD make your “mojo in action” making & posting a similar old fashioned tear & take! Ha!
Or, simply take some of the affirmations I listed here, and make sure you are DOING the ACTION part of those suggestions!